Kanton Island (also known as Canton Island or Abariringa Island), also known as "Mary Island", "Mary Balcout's Island" or "Swallow Island", is the largest, northernmost, and as of 2010, the sole inhabited island of the Phoenix Islands in the Republic of Kiribati. It is an atoll located in the South Pacific Ocean roughly halfway between Hawaii and Fiji The island is a narrow ribbon of land enclosing a lagoon with an area of 40 square kilometers. Kanton's closest neighbor is the uninhabited island of Enderbury, 63 km to the south. The capital of Kiribati, Tarawa, lies 1,765 km to the west. In May 2010 the population was reportedly 24, with 14 adults and 10 children. The island's sole village is called Tebaronga.

Kanton Island was discovered on August 5, 1824, by two London whaling ships: the Phoenix, Capt. John Palmer; and the Mary, Capt. Edward Reed. The atoll was initially named "Mary Ballcout's Island" after the shipowner's wife.

Kanton got its permanent name from the New Bedford whaler Canton, which ran aground on the atoll on March 4, 1854. The crew managed to escape on whaleboats and after an open-water voyage of 49 days, reached Tinian Island in the Marianas, without the loss of a man.

Much of Kanton's land surface is bare coral, sparsely covered with herbs and low bunch grass; a few trees and bushes are found near the village site. There is no freshwater on Kanton so rainwater is caught in cisterns for use by the local inhabitants.

The British laid claim to Kanton Island during the 1850s. The official British claim was formally reasserted on August 6, 1936, with the British making several visits to the island culminating in the placement of two radio operators on Kanton on August 31, 1937. On July 8, 1937, Kanton was the site of a total solar eclipse and the island was occupied briefly by American and New Zealand scientists, During this time, the American party claimed the island for the United States, erecting a small monument with two American flags. According to one account, the British warship HMS Wellington fired a shot across the bow of the USS Avocet, when the latter refused to cede the choicest anchorage spot to the British vessel. The American ship allegedly responded in kind, following which both captains agreed to "cease fire" until instructions could be received from their respective governments. Washington and London quickly ordered no further escalation.

In response to the British reoccupation of Kanton in August 1937, seven Americans landed on the island on March 7, 1938. Although the British ambassador to the United States requested removal of markers claiming U.S. sovereignty, President Franklin Roosevelt formally placed the island under control of the U.S. Interior department on March 3, 1938. Both parties continued to press their competing claims until April 6, 1939, when the U.S. and Britain agreed to hold Kanton under joint control for the next forty years as the Canton and Enderbury Islands condominium.

Pan American World Airways arrived on Kanton on May 18, 1939, to build facilities for their planned New Zealand flying boat service. Service commenced on July 12, 1940 with the Boeing 314 Clipper. On December 4, 1941, the Pacific Clipper departed Kanton for New Caledonia as the final civilian flight before the war.

During World War II the United States Navy built a 6,230 foot (1.9 km) airstrip. Kanton became a stopover point for the Navy Air Transport Service flights to Australia and New Zealand as well as a staging point for attacks on the Gilbert Islands, then held by Japan. The USS President Taylor was grounded and abandoned near the island on 14 February 1942 when disembarking troops. It was shelled three times in late 1942 by Japanese submarines, and bombed once on March 25, 1943. Damage was reported as "slight." The island was defended by approximately 1,200 combat troops and support personnel, but was never attacked by Japanese forces.

In November 1946, Pan Am resumed service to Australia and New Zealand via Kanton with Douglas DC-4 aircraft. British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines, Australia's first trans-Pacific airline, used the island as a stopover on the way to Hawaii, flying luxurious DC-6Bs on the Sydney to Vancouver BC, Canada route. Qantas took over this service shortly thereafter, after BCPA went out of business. Canadian Pacific Airlines used the island as well. This service continued through 1958, when the DC-4's were replaced with the Douglas DC-7C. A full-scale community was established to support these operations, including an electrical power station, a hotel for the airline passengers' use, a medical dispensary, school for dependent children of station personnel, and other necessary facilities. The island was jointly administered by the United Kingdom and the United States, and the British and American post offices were both operated from a single building. The American administrator, who was an employee of the Civil Aeronautics Administration (predecessor to the FAA) and island manager for that agency, also served as the U.S. resident administrator under the Department of the Interior and as a U.S. special deputy marshal under the Department of Justice.

The introduction of long-range jet aircraft brought an end of Kanton's usefulness as an aircraft refueling station, and all airlines ended their operations there by the late 1950s—except for Pan Am, which continued a monthly service with DC-7C aircraft via Auckland, Nadi, Pago Pago, Kanton, Honolulu and return. This service was conducted using  DC-7C aircraft which provided feeder service from Auckland to three points on the jet service schedules. The last Pan Am flight was in November 1965 when the final DC-7C returned to Miami after the opening of a new airport in Auckland, enabling New Zealand to be added to Pan Am's jet routes. Kanton's airport remained operational, however, as an emergency landing field.

In 1960 a tracking station for the Mercury program was built on Kanton. It was utilized through November 1965. The U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Space and Missile Systems Organization continued to use the island for missile-tracking operations through 1976. That year marked the complete end of the American presence; the airfield was abandoned and all U.S. personnel were removed. The British also closed their post office, ending their presence on Kanton as well.

With the independence of Kiribati from Britain in 1979, the British-American condominium was formally terminated, and the island transferred to Kiribati sovereignty. Kanton's post office was reopened by the Kiribati government, and the island was repopulated with a few people from the more crowded atolls of the Gilbert Islands, who reside in several of the abandoned residences left over from the British-American presence.

Kanton is occasionally visited by Republic of Kiribati vessels, the U.S. Coast Guard and various fishing boats. In 2008, Kanton and the rest of the Phoenix Islands became the Phoenix Islands Protected Area (PIPA), the world's largest marine protected area, covering a total area of 410,500 square kilometers of land and ocean. In 2007 it was submitted, together with the rest of the PIPA, as a UNESCO World Heritage site. In August 2010, the PIPA became a World Heritage site.

Data extracted from www.wikipedia.com.